Friday, October 28, 2011

My bad....

Who would have thought, water doesn't like to burn very well.  I believe the majority of my foundry issues over the last several weeks can be attributed to water in the fuel, mainly, the kerosene.  I have to admit, I am slightly embarrassed. 

It ran last night for an hour without issue on pure (clean, new, water free) kerosene.  With the blower, it only needed about 10psi of supply air down from the 20-30psi on previous burn attempts.  From the time I lit to the time I poured, it was just over an hour.

I am somewhat concerned as to how hot the furnace runs though.  I do not think that the fire brick lining will hold up very well as the pilth blocks are already starting to deteriorate.  A second furnace design might be necessary...

I still want to burn waste oil, and the success last night gives me some motivation to go ahead and build a system to pre-heat the oil to an acceptable temperature in order to be carried to the nozzle.  I also need to refine the burner setup to something a bit less crude.  All in time.

Sorry, no pictures today...