Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A new rear...

Well, it's time to take the old banjo out and replace it with a 9".  I hate to do it, but sometimes you just have to.

What started this project was that the rear tires were rubbing on the inside when I aggressively go around a corner. Sure, I could have used a 1/2" wheel spacers and that would have solved my problem.  However, I would still have a 70 year old rear end.  Every time that I bang second, in the back of my mind I always wonder if this is the time that it finally lets go.  Not anymore...





 The springs are 1 3/4" wide and I have no idea what they came out of...they were laying in the original parts '40 ford parts car.  The spring pads that Summit stocks are for 2 1/2" wide springs.  To get everything to work, I milled 3/4" out of the center of the pads and then welded them back together.  I still have to make the u-bolt plate and drill the center hole in the spring pads.  Hopefully I can get that done tonight and get the truck back on the ground to set the pinion angle.