Monday, April 16, 2012

Progress on the '40...

Well, since a 9" rear end housing is so much larger than what was previously in the '40, the gas tank required some minor relieving.  Anytime that cutting or welding is required on a gas tank, I am a bit apprehensive.  In reality, there probably wouldn't be an issue with cutting on the tank if there were no vapors left in it.  However, I wasn't going to take any chances.  After giving it a thorough washing, I completely filled the tank with water before I did any cutting.  This made a mess when I started to cut though and by the end, I was completely soaked.

Another way that is as effective is to purge the tank with argon.  The argon will displace all of the oxygen and since argon is inert, gas vapors will not react when exposed to a flame.  This requires an additional full bottle of argon, which I didn't have.


So now, I just ave to patch the hole....no big deal.