Monday, December 10, 2012

New 235 Acquisition...

So, a friend of mine sent me a post on Craigslist for a "1950's Chevy 6 CYL - Dual Exhaust".  Needless to say, it peeked my interest, especially after I noticed the "GM" on the factory looking dual exhaust manifold.  I called and went to go take a look.  The guy said he bought then engine 15 years ago and had no idea what it came out of.  He alluded to the fact that it might be a Corvette motor. 

Upon some investigation, the casting date was '54.  It have an earlier 216 bellhousing, a single carb intake  and was missing the distributor.  The early 'Vette 235's had dual points so it might be possible that someone took the distributor as I would think they are fairly rare, even more so than the exhaust manifold.  The casting numbers were 3835911 on the block and 3835913 on the head, which according to some sources are correct casting numbers for 'Vettes.  However, for as many sources that say it is, I found the same number that say it isn't.  The engine serial number is 0952I86F54Z.  The F 54 Z code stands for Flint, Michigan, 1954, standard shift engine.  Unfortunately, I believe the Corvette serial would be F54YG.

Regardless, for what he was asking, it was still a good deal....even if it wasn't a 'Vette motor, so of course, I bought it.