Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Industrial grade...

My daughter is almost 6 months old now and I figure that she is going to need a playground soon.  Sure, my wife and I could have gone to one of the big box stores and bought one of those mainstream, run-of-the-mill wooded sets that every house seems to have in the back yard that is in some form of disrepair.  But, that just simply would not do...I want something better, something bigger, something industrial strength and maybe... something with a little bit of history.

I have been looking for a while, actually even before she was born, for a vintage playground set from either a school or park.  I had two requirements...it had to be old and it had to be big.  I finally found it over the weekend at a local auction and ended up getting it all.  A couple of pieces I was able to buy outright, but the remainder I had to get off of a scrap dealer.  



My father and his co-worker, Skip where there just to look good for the camera...



Talking with the bother-in-law of the original owner, all of this equipment came from the old Montrose Drive-in Threater that closed in 1985.  The only information I was able to find was here and here.  I really would like to find some old pictures of the drive in and maybe of the equipment.