Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Rollin' on 17's....

I was able to snag some wheels and tires off of Craigslist for the Volvo project recently. They turned out to be 17x7" DR9 Drag Wheels with almost new 245/45R17 Potenza's.  But of course, they didn't fit.  I actually did know this when I bought them....so back off.

Because the Volvo is...well....Volvo, it has a 5 on 4-1/4" bolt pattern.  Who uses a 5 on 4-1/4" bolt pattern?  Really?  Apparently, old,old Mopar and Puegeot.  Good luck finding custom Peugeot wheels in the U.S.  Trust me, I tried.  The only custom wheels offered for Volvo's are either genuine Volvo wheels or knockoffs of genuine Volvo wheels.  That doesn't leave to much for variety and partly the reason all lowered 240's have the same style wheels.

The plan is to make a much more common wheel fit, say a 5 on 4-1/2" bolt pattern.  I am eventually going to swap the rear end for a 9" to handle the power of the 2JZ, so it seemed natural to use a Ford pattern.  The front hubs can be re-drilled for the pattern as well.  However, until that point, I am just going to run some adapters that I got off of everyone's favorite internet auction site.  For a little under $90, it seemed like a good way to tell if everything was going to work or had the possibility of working.