Between machining T5 adapter plates on the mill, I was able to make some headway on the '40's gas tank.
I started by first forming a lip around the cut out section of the tank. This will help in making a leak tight seam when I go to weld the patch in.
Next I cut a piece of 18ga roughly the shape of the opening, a couple of inches bigger. It needed to be stretched in order for it lay down in the opening. My large plastic mallet and shot bag did the trick.
The dents were smoothed on the english wheel. It's starting to take shape but didn't fit quite right.
It needed a bit more stretching.
It took three more times of fitting, stretching and wheeling before it fit close enough.
After a bit of a trim, it's ready to weld.