Monday, February 25, 2013

Wiring Progress...

Here are some more progress pictures.  I've been trying to just get the wiring routed to where it needs to go and in the loom before I complete all of the necessary connections.  However, what inevitably seems to happen is that I forget to run at least one wire and have to tear to loom back apart.  This is especially true with using the original Opel switches and components.  All that I can say is that the original Opel harness is quite a work of electrical engineering.

The cloth wire loom is a great product that I have been using for years.  The best place I have found to get it is either from Rhode Island Wire or TP Tools.  I prefer this over what else is available, it just gives the overall wiring a bit more of a factory look.

Friday, February 22, 2013

Opel GT Rewire....

We recently had a customer drop of a really well restored Opel GT for us to tackle a complete rewire.  The customer did an amazing job restoring this car from what he described as essentially a rusted out parts car.  When he first got the car, he was saying that he almost scrapped definitely has come a long way and the pictures do not do it justice.

Here is how the wiring looked when it was pulled in the shop.  It's a bit of a tangled mess that would be overwhelming to most.  It's a new aftermarket harness from Kwik Wire and over all, I really can't find any faults with least yet.

So, at this point, the best thing to do is take it all out.

 And there you go...

The issue that you can run into with an aftermarket harnesses is that usually there are several circuit that are not used.  Most people simply coil the extra wire up and hide it under the dash.  I beg you....please....don't do this.  Take the extra circuits out.  It takes no more that a couple of minutes and goes along way to keeping the wiring nice and tidy.  Also, when you are laying out the the initial path of wires, use zip ties....but only to keep everything organized until you are ready to install the loom.  I usually go through an entire packet of zip ties but when I am done, there are only a few left on the vehicle.  They are cheap and make the job so much easier.

Well,  it didn't take long to encounter the first problem.  The fuse panel didn't have a mounting block and the wires stuck out the back of the panel about 3/4 of an inch.  I bent a mounting bracket up out of some 18ga and was able to utilize the original fuse panel mounting holes.

Here is the initial placement of the panel and wires.  There are still some tangled wires that need to be addressed, but at least the panel is mounted and will not be going anywhere.  The big glob of wires running off to the right are for the dash....wait till you see that mess...

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Hudson T5 progress...

Originally, the plan was to adapt a GM bellhousing behind the Hudson motor and bolt on the T5.  After machining a wood template, there were several issues with that plan.

First off, the starter location was where the bellhousing alignment dowel pin was.  I then tried to move the starter to the other side, but because of the exhaust manifold outlet, there wasn't enough room.  There wasn't much room to rotate the starter up from it's stock location because the dipstick was in the way.  Also, the oil pan it ridiculously huge on this thing, so I couldn't move the starter underneath.

The only thing left to do was to use the original bellhousing and make an adapter from it to the transmission.  The '83-'93 S-10 T5 bolt pattern did not lend it self particularly well to the layout of the clutch linkage.  However, the '94-'95 S-10 T5 with the Ford bolt pattern seemed to be a much better fit.  In fact, the top left hole actually lines up with an existing bolt hole and the overall shape of the mating surfaces are pretty darn close.

So, onto Rev B.  Here is the wood mockup....

New toy...

So...I was at an auction and I couldn't control myself.  It's a Massey Ferguson 202.

However, after using it for a while, I do not know how I have gotten by without a front end loader.  The uses seem endless.

Finally done...

The new building is finally done...well at least the exterior.  There are big plans to make it the new workshop, but we'll just have to wait until spring.

You might be thinking to yourself that it seemed to take an excessively long time to finish...well I would have to agree with you on that.  You see, initially there were some issues with the weather.  It rained...for about a month straight.  Working in the mud absolutely sucks.  Then, once we did get enough of a dry spell to get the building up, we ran into another issue with the siding.  

I have only every used siding produced from Alside.  They make a fantastic product and I have never had any issues with it.  I have it on my house and other buildings so naturally I wanted it on the new shop.  But, after getting about half of it up, we stood back and noticed that the siding was two different colors. 

This was completely unacceptable...especially for the price paid for the product.  However, Aslide stood behind there product and replaced the entire lot of siding, but because of the holidays and personal vacations, it took about a month to sort everything out.  The problem was explained as an incorrect setup during the embossing process causing the slight difference in sheen.  After all was said and done, I would not hesitate to go back to them for my future siding needs.  It's nice to know that there are some companies that still value customer satisfaction.