Friday, December 24, 2010

Some time off...


Well, Merry Christmas everyone.  I had to do the family thing for a few days and make the trek to lovely Bellevue, Iowa to spend the holidays with my wife’s family.  It is nice to have a break for a few days, but I do miss being in the shop.

I did get a chance to make some progress on the gas tank.  I have is pretty much finished up with the exception of a little bit of welding and getting the inside coated with a gas tank lining.  

I like to get the tank lined for several reasons.  First off, I do not trust the capability of my welds in keeping the gas from leaking.  Also, the lining aides in preventing the inside of the tank from rusting.  I have used several different types of tanking lining that are available from companies such as Eastwood with good success but the one thing that has bothered me with the DIY versions is the smell of the chemical concoction.  So, the last several tanks I have built, I have found that local radiator shops are more than capable and usually more than willing to perform this service for not much more that it cost to buy the stuff over the interwebs.

When it is all done, I want a tank that has a factory look to it instead a drab plain box that happens to hold gas.  The easiest way to do this is to add some raised beads to it.  Before I started to take everything together, I went ahead and added some beads to the sides and bottom since that is really anyone will ever see once it is bolted in.  This also helps control the warpage that is inevitable from when I go weld the perimeter.  I cheated and used a Pullmax with a 1/4" beading die.  I realize than not everyone one of these in their garage, but the same thing can be accomplished on a hand operated bead roller or even with a simple set of hammer dies. 


I am actually contemplating making a set of hammer dies.  I have had several occasions in which I have been unable to fit the piece that I was working on in the Pullmax.  I am thinking of taking two pieces of bar stock and separating them by 3/8" for the female die.  The male die could be made from a piece of 1/4 round stock with a piece of bar stock welded perpendicularly for a place to hammer on.  If you wanted to get real crazy, you could casenite the dies and polish them.

Well, at this point I have to apologize, I thought I brought my camera along with me to download the most recent pictures.  Not the case.  It is 9 hours away sitting on the work bench.  So I guess I will just have to wait until I get back home to finish the post on the gas tank.

Anyway, hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a safe holiday.