Tuesday, May 10, 2011

235/261 to T-5 Adapter...

Now that I can move the '40, I am going to start working on some of the other projects that I want do.  One of the being an adapter for an S-10 T-5 transmission behind a 235/261 chevy inline. 

Most people, including myself, have had to modify the stock transmission to get it to bolt onto a '48-'62 235 chevy truck bell housing.  This modification includes cutting a 1/2" off the bearing retainer and sometimes cutting a 1/2" off of the pilot bearing.  I was fine with doing this until I tried to install the transmission into the '40.  After cutting the bearing retainer, I found that the splines on the input shaft were not cut back far enough to allow the clutch disc to slide.  The clutch was bottoming out on the splines.  So, I ended up making an 1/8" spacer to get it to work.

What if I didn't have to cut anything to get it to work?  Wouldn't that be better?  I think so...so this is what I came up with.


Last night I fired the mill up to machine a template out of wood, but the controls and the screen never came on.  Guess this is going to have to wait until I get that fixed.  Damn old worn out equipment...