Wednesday, October 12, 2011

It's got potential....

Had some more time to mess with the oil burner over the weekend.  Results were mixed to say the least.  I started it on kerosene and then switched over to oil.  The air pressure was set around 20psi.
 
Initially, everything went as planned.  The burner lit and ran remarkably well.  About 10 minutes into it, I kept having oil supply issues.  The flame would go out and then relight repeatedly.  I would disconnect the oil supply and there would be no noticeable vacuum on the oil port of the nozzle.  I would then disconnect the air supply and reconnect it.  After that everything work like it was suppose to and I could relight the burner.  It would stay running for sometime and then do it all over again.  Frustrating...



I think that there might be two issues at hand.  First, the oil might have some dirt or paticals that could be clogging the nozzle.  I did not filter it before I started.  Secondly, the oil might have too high of a viscosity to run reliably.  I might have to devise a way to pre-heat before the nozzle.