Monday, March 5, 2012

Tapped out....

A job came into the shop that needed a bunch of holes tapped.  They were 8-32's...all 244 of them.  Unfortunately, my '87 Fadal did not come with the rigid tapping optional.  So, I initially resorted to my tapping head for the drill press.  Since it was aluminum, I used a diesel fuel as the tapping lubricant.  I usually have great success with it.  The problem was that the tapping head was taking way too long.  I was also having to fight with it. 

So, I figured I would take a chance and try tapping with the cordless drill.  I had to change my tapping fluid to Anchor Lube.  This stuff is fantastic.  I originally got it for tapping stainless and titanium, but boy, did it do a wonderful job.  I set the clutch on the drill at a very low setting.  This prevented me from breaking a tap as well as helped make sure I was tapping straight.  240 holes in about 10 minutes, not too bad...with a very nice finish I might add...