Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Bring on the winter...

Due to Ohio weather being horrendous in the winter, everyone needs a plow vehicle.  This year, mine is going to be a very rusty but mostly trusty '93 Ford explorer.  I realize that this is not a very popular plow vehicle as I am finding out that there are several problems associated with it plowing snow.  First off, they were never intended to plow snow.  Secondly, Meyers Snowplow never made a mount for one.  Apparently the reasoning behind this is that the automatic transmissions cannot take the abuse and the frames are not strong enough to support the pushing of a plow.

Well, lucky for me, I do not have an automatic but I do have one of the very few 5 speed manual models that were produced.  I also have very limited funds in this particular vehicle so if it gets damaged plowing my driveway...well ok, so be it.

It only took a couple of hours to put together the mount that Meyers should have built.  Most of it was scrap lying around but I did have to purchase the green bends from McMaster Carr.  There is still a little work to be done, but at least it beats using a shovel.