Monday, December 9, 2013

Christmas presents....

Why is it that I simply cannot go out and buy Christmas presents like everyone else?  My what my wife jokingly claims that I am a bit frugal.  Well, I probably should agree with her, but there might be more to it than that.

At least for me personally, some of the most cherished and thought full gifts that I have received have been the ones that were handmade.  Whether they were a photo book on the first car I built or something as simple as a Christmas ornament, they all mean something so much more than their material possession.  So, that might be why I prefer to build my gifts instead of buying them.

This year, it's a Grandfather clock.  I know...I know, it has nothing to do with metalworking, but for those who read his site regularly, you know that I like to dabble in woodworking.  Plus, I have always wanted to try and build one.  So, here it is:


I started with a basically just a dial and a rough sketch of what I wanted it to look like.




I used every clamp that I own and I still needed more...


It still needs to be stained and the doors installed, but it's coming along nicely.  The only problem is that Christmas is approaching fast and I still have to make a cedar lined chest for another gift.  Oh well, pressure makes diamonds, I guess.