Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Dent removal on a BSA tank....


A customer sent me his tank off of a 60's something BSA to see if I could maybe take a couple of dents out of it.  After years of faithful service, its bound to have a few bumps and bruises.  But, because BSA polished their tanks, you can't hide these under layers of filler and paint.



Unfortunately, the only good way to remove these is to get to them from the inside.  This meant cutting the entire bottom out.



Once I could get inside, I could start bumping the metal back out with a couple of dollies.  There wasn't enough room to swing a hammer so I had to use one dollie as the hammer.  Once it was brought back close,  I could hit it with a body file, then some 80 grit and eventually work my way down to 1000 grit before polishing...


There still is a long way to go with the polishing, but at least you get the point...